Vastu is the art of placing buildings and objects in relation to energy, to accentuate the positive elements and minimize those which are negative. Humans spend most of their time inside a building be it our home, office, or anything else. It’s also a fact that all things in the universe have a level of energy associated with them. Vastu aims to eliminate negative and enhance positive energy present at a place or location so that a person, family, or even business inhabiting a building becomes prosperous and progressive.
One of the most important personal spaces in our house is our bedroom. The basic aim is for harmony and balance which can be achieved through strategic positioning of objects and the use of color and light. The bedroom is associated with rest, relaxation, and comfort.
We spend around 8 to 10 hours a day in bed, so it is an important room. If a person doesn’t take rest properly, they will not be able to perform to their best abilities and will not be able to take advantage of the good fortune released into the rest of the house. Therefore, the beds, lights, dressing tables, and wardrobes make a great contribution to a cordial atmosphere.
According to Vastu Shastra, if the main door of the house stands directly opposite to the bedroom door, the occupant will be prone to legal problems. However, placing a small ornament or piece of furniture can interrupt the line of passage, the flow of negative energy, from the main door to the bedroom.
Bed Placement in Master Bedroom
- Master bedrooms must ideally be located in the southwest section of the home. Bed direction as per Vastu, in the master bedroom, must be in the South or West direction.
- This bed placement is important as it influences the sleep quality and health of the family.
- According to the Vastu, the bed should be placed along the central part of the wall so that there’s enough space to move around.
Bed Placement in Kid’s Bedroom
- In a child’s bedroom, the best position to place the head of the bed is towards the East direction.
- This bed direction according to Vastu increases health, memory, and concentration.
- Positioning the head of the bed in the South or Southeast is also fine. This way the feet always point towards the North or the West.
- This position is suitable for a person who is inclined towards spirituality or for younger adults who are starting out in their careers.
Bed Placement in Guest Room-
The bed in the guest room can have its head towards the west. The bed in the guest room should be in a position that the person sleeps with head towards the South.
Vastu Tips for the Bedroom
- Windows: Never keep a window open behind the head while sleeping.
- Doors: The door of the attached bathroom should be shut, when not in use. Bedroom doors should not have a creak.
- Almirah placement: The almirah should be placed in the South or West direction wall.
- Colour of bedroom walls: Dark colors must be avoided. Colors like pink, off-white, or cream should be chosen as they can uplift one’s mood.
Things to Avoid in Bedroom, as per Vastu:
- Corner: – Bed placement in the corner of the room should be avoided as this prevents positive energy from flowing freely. The bed should be placed along the central part of the wall.
- Bathroom doors: – The bed should not be placed facing the bathroom door. If this arrangement is not possible, then it must be ensured that the bathroom door is kept closed always to prevent negative energy from coming into the bedroom.
- Mirrors reflecting the bed: – If there is a mirror in the bedroom, it must be ensured that it does not reflect the bed. Having any body part reflected in the mirror while lying down can increase the possibility of illness.
- Beam: – Sleeping under a beam that carries the entire burden of the structure must be avoided as it attracts bad luck for the family.
- Metal beds: – Metal beds must be avoided as they can cause illness.
- Electronic gadgets near-bed: – The electronic gadgets should be placed at a distance from the bed as the magnetic waves generated by them can interfere with sleep and cause problems like insomnia.
Sleeping Position According to Vastu:
Sleep deprivation has been known for years as a serious issue and it upsets many people’s lives every day. When one is not sleeping in the right direction, it disrupts the rhythm of their sleep. The ancient principles of Vastu Shastra can be easily applied to the sleeping position while planning the interior layout or home or while remolding the existing one. A sound sleep rejuvenates the mind and body for the next day. Hence, it is very important to which is the best direction to sleep as per Vastu.
- Sleeping with the head towards the South– Sleeping with head towards the South brings prosperity, good health, good fortune, and quality sleep. It will make one’s hours inviting, radiant and pleasant. People in the business or professional field should sleep with their heads in this direction since they are more stressed and busier throughout the day.
- Sleeping with the head towards East– It increases memory power, concentration and also promotes good health. Students, scholars, teachers, and people in the job should sleep with head towards the East. It showers people with new career opportunities, promotions, and higher grades. This direction allows positive energy to slow through one’s body, making them sleep peacefully.
- Sleeping with the head towards North– Sleeping with head towards the North causes stress, illness and also disturbs the mind. It may even make one short-tempered and exhausted. This direction can obstruct energy flow leading to mediocre sleep.
- Sleeping with the head towards West– According to the Vastu, it’s a neutral sleeping direction. Sleeping in this position does not give the quality sleep required for freshness for the next day. Lack of quality sleep keeps one away from working with their full potential.
Further, sleeping with legs in the South direction should be avoided, as per the Vastu, it prevents one from getting a sound sleep and may also lead to the illness of the mind. Southern direction is for the Lord of death and hence, should be avoided.
Advantages of Good Sleep:
- It makes one happier and keeps one in a joyful state throughout the day.
- Sleep is the best way to keep a strong fitness level.
- It prevents major illness issues.
- One can perform at the highest every day.
- Sleep is the elixir of life.
There are many manifestations of just how dark and dismal life on the wrong side of Vastu can become. Relationships can fail, careers can stagnate and financial opportunities can be lost, are a few examples. Fortunately, there are solutions to all eventualities, straightforward actions that one can take to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. However, a Vastu expert can guide a person to make the perfect use of all the elements based on their date and time of birth and their corresponding energy meridian, to bring good luck and harmony.